Monday, October 31, 2011

Caring for the poor

Passing The Buck

1. In the first centuries of Christianity
the poor were fed, clothed, and sheltered
at a personal sacrifice and the Pagans
said about the Christians: "See how they love each other."

2. Today the poor are fed, clothed, and sheltered by the
politicians at the expense of the taxpayers.

3. And because the poor are no longer fed, clothed, and sheltered
at a personal sacrifice but at the expense of taxpayers Pagans say
about Christians: "See how they pass the buck."

 
"For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in." Matthew 25:35


"I know that the LORD secures justice for the poor and upholds the cause of the needy." Psalm 140:12
"The Spirit of the Sovereign LORD is on me, because the LORD has anointed me to preach good news to the poor. He has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim freedom for the captives and release from darkness for the prisoners." Isaiah 61:1
"The poor and needy search for water, but there is none; their tongues are parched with thirst. But I the LORD will answer them; I, the God of Israel, will not forsake them." Isaiah 41:17



"He raises the poor from the dust and lifts the needy from the ash heap;" Psalm 113:7
"When Jesus heard this, he said to him, You still lack one thing. Sell everything you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.'" Luke 18:22
"Learn to do right! Seek justice, encourage the oppressed. Defend the cause of the fatherless, plead the case of the widow." Isaiah 1:17


"She opens her arms to the poor and extends her hands to the needy." Proverbs 31:20

"But he lifted the needy out of their affliction and increased their families like flocks." Psalm 107:41
"A generous man will himself be blessed, for he shares his food with the poor." Proverbs 22:9

"He who is kind to the poor lends to the LORD, and he will reward him for what he has done." Proverbs 19:17

"Yet I am poor and needy; come quickly to me, O God. You are my help and my deliverer; O LORD , do not delay." Psalm 70:5

"But the needy will not always be forgotten, nor the hope of the afflicted ever perish." Psalm 9:18

"Have I not wept for those in trouble? Has not my soul grieved for the poor?" Job 30:25

"He raises the poor from the dust and lifts the needy from the ash heap; he seats them with princes and has them inherit a throne of honor." 1 Samuel 2:8

"There will always be poor people in the land. Therefore I command you to be openhanded toward your brothers and toward the poor and needy in your land." Deuteronomy 15:11

"If you mistreat the poor, you insult your Creator" — Proverbs 14:31

God is more happy when I help the poor and the oppressed than when I do my religious duties like praying and going to church. Though these things are important too, without compassion for the poor and oppressed, spending time reading the Bible and praying doesn’t really have a point. If my relationship with God hasn’t changed my heart so that I have compassion on the poor and oppressed, then I’m obviously missing something. It’s like Jesus said to the Pharisees, how they give a tenth of their money and spices to God, but they have neglected the more important matters, things like justice and faithfulness.


1 comment:

  1. Wow! Very convicting...The big misconception is that helping the poor means $$$. But more than that it means aiding in their provision and future in a personal way. You do not have to look far to find a poor person.

    ReplyDelete