Thursday, October 27, 2011

What’s a girl worth?

What’s a girl worth?

I was 13– Excited to be out late at Denny’s with my friends, talking and laughing, effervescent, carefree. He was much older, at least in his 30s, but he zeroed in on me. He leered, scruffy face so close, stinking drunk, and he loud-whispered words I’d never heard about what he wanted to do to me. He said he would make me quiver, and he did. Just not the way he meant.

I sought comfort from two women I thought would understand, but they could only see the moment through their own dark-tinted lenses. My experience wasn’t as bad as theirs had been, and they brushed it off. I was alone with fear and shame.

What’s a girl worth?

I was 15– Too young and too scared, desperate to keep my older boyfriend, reluctantly willing. He gave me a magazine as a guide, full of bodies and skin, excitement and impossibility. He wanted me to learn what to do for him. So I did. And when he used me all up, he left me to guilt and self-loathing. And I dared not seek comfort where it had not met me before.

What’s a girl worth?

I was 17– Feeling like a woman behind the wheel of my red convertible, waiting for the light to let me get to my hostess job, mature, nearly grown. He honked his horn and filled the space between his car and mine with shouts and dirty laughter: He liked how I ate my banana. I drove away stupid and small.

What’s a girl worth?

I was 31– Creating a place of laughter and heart-baring, writing good words, typing out truth. I opened up so others could too and invited conversation. He was anonymous and cowardly. He sent a message to describe how he’d defile me if he had his way. I was shaken and suspicious.

When I turned to my communities, two scoffers stood out among the supporters. Women who suggested it was my fault, expected, deserved.

What’s a girl worth?

I know the statement of my worth comes from the lips of the One who made me, but yet– but yet. When the shouts of men say You’re just a thing to f--k, when the sneers of women say Oh well– the voice of truth is hard to make out through the chatter.

And I need the strong voices of my brothers and the sweet singing of my sisters to raise loud the truth of our Father’s words, to remind me what a girl’s worth.

***

Have you ever struggled to believe what you’re worth when God and the world disagree?


8 comments:

  1. Emma..I dont know if this is you are realating to someone you know ...I do think that its painful to ask for help or even advise to get a visual of actually was has taken place,but I know this God is very involved with such action,,I find that you are very open on thing that some really dont desire to address..So I would encourge you to remember that their are folks that do pray and that desire that nothing but the very best comes your way and to whom this has happened..I do..You dont me and more than never will..But thats ok..Kow this ..You are fearfulluy and Wooderfully made..God Bless...Paul..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow.....I question my worth every day. And the battering it takes, even TODAY, comes not just from men but from someone who says they are a friend. I needed this....thank you.....a reminder from God that I am worth more than even the lip-service of a 'friend'. God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. sorry for the type..Im still learning...:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow emma thats realy honnust to write.i am sure this will help other girls a lot.it sure helps me.thank you lord.God bless you emma.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just keep writing....the truth doesn't always sit well with people. Bless you :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. My dear, sweet, sister in Christ, Emma - Beautiful one, you are a blessing to many of us out here that come to your page to read your beautiful words - sent only from our precious Father. I have written you before in regards to a horrible situation I am in currently. The things that are being done to me make a gal feel quite unlovable. But, you know as much as I do, that God loves us more than ANYONE could possibly love us. In the end, it's what HE thinks of us, not what the cruel, mean, evil-hearted folks say. You are a beautiful woman - inside and out. God knows this and so do I.
    I am quite thankful you opened up and shared this. We must have confidence in our faith. If we stand planted like a deep rooted tree - nothing and NO ONE can move us because we are deeply planted in the Truth of our Lord. Blessings to you Emma -

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Emma,

    Who can find a virtuous woman? for her price is far above rubies.
    The heart of her husband doth safely trust in her, so that he shall have no need of spoil.

    { Emma your price is far above anything you've ever thought or heard,or known of here}

    Now therefore fear the LORD, and serve him in sincerity and in truth.
    {Emma}
    And they overcame him by the blood of the Lamb, and by the word of their testimony;
    {Emma}
    11And they overcame him by the blood of the Lamb, and by the word of their testimony; and they loved not their lives unto the death
    {Emma}

    {Truly I have never heard such sincere truth }
    { Jesus wept...Keith too }

    Psalm 15

    1Lord, who shall abide in thy tabernacle? who shall dwell in thy holy hill?
    {Emma}

    2He that walketh uprightly, and worketh righteousness, and speaketh the truth in his heart.
    {Emma}

    3He that backbiteth not with his tongue, nor doeth evil to his neighbour, nor taketh up a reproach against his neighbour.
    {Emma}
    Proverbs 16:6
    By mercy and truth iniquity is purged: and by the fear of the LORD men depart from evil.

    {Those you spoke of did not fear the Lord}

    Luke 21:3
    And he said, Of a truth I say unto you, that this poor widow hath cast in more than they all:

    { "of a truth" } The Lord recognizes Truth...He points it out ! She gave "of the truth" of her heart . Jesus said "more than All"

    {DID YOU GET THAT ! "MORE THAN THEY ALL !!!"}

    John 14:17
    Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you.

    {even the spirit of Truth in YOU Emma Kimberly}
    { I'm afraid I love you}

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow Emma, I couldn't help but relate to most of what you described in this post. Just this morning I struggled with thoughts of unworthiness because I too have been hurt by men in the world aswell as "men of God". More difficult to grasp is how a "man of God" could emotionally bruise a woman just the same as a man who doesn't know the truth, sometimes even worse. God quickly reprimanded my thoughts,and reminded me of my worth in Him. He did this, as tactfully and as lovingly as always. He answered my questions through daily devotions I receive in my inbox. An excerpt that stood out for me in these devotions, and I quote:
    "For those of you who are hurting today, weighed down by an over sized load of pain, heart ache, hurt, and complete emptiness may I lay the Jesus card on the table and say to you,
    “God has a plan and reason for everything.”
    It’s ok if you can’t see His plan and purpose right now through your pain; and it’s ok if you scream obscenities at me. And while the perception may be that you’re “the perfect Jesus girl,” the reality may be that you’re standing in a very different, very wounded place this very moment. People may not see that, but Jesus does. It’s okay. You don’t have to be who others think you should be. It’s ok for you to feel your pain. But what’s not ok is for you to stay buried by that pain, broken down in a puddle of hurt and heart ache.
    The time will come, and for each of us it’s different, when you’ll have to look your friend Jesus in the face and choose to allow Him to lift you above the pain. The day will come when His healing you’ll have to accept. The day will come when you’ll have to lay it all at His feet and allow Him to carry the load of your heart ache.
    But until that day comes the Jesus card remains on the table. And, my friend, it IS the winning card."
    “You have allowed me to suffer much hardship, but you will restore me to life again and lift me up from the depths of the earth. For my (Jesus) yoke is easy to bear, and the burden I give you is light.” Psalm 71:20; Matthew 11:30, NLT

    If you'd like to read the entire post, I posted the link below:

    http://internetcafedevotions.com/2011/10/the-jesus-card/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+InternetCafeDevotions+%28Internet+Cafe+Devotions%29

    ReplyDelete