Thursday, October 13, 2011

R U crazy or What?





I wanted to talk about a subject I hear many Christians talk about that does concern me a little bit. It is about the manifestations of the Holy Spirit (shaking, laughing, falling down, and just acting like a drunk) on some people that from a natural point does look crazy or weird, I admit that… until it happens to you!

So let’s look at some other cases that looked weird at the time:

Jesus turned water into wine

Jesus and Peter walked on water

Jesus spoke to a storm and calmed the wind and water, then suddenly after being in the middle of the lake they were on shore

Jesus fed 4,000 and 5,000

Jesus healed people everywhere He went

Jesus cast out demons

When the Pharisees’ and Sadducees’ came to get Jesus and asked if He was Jesus and said “I AM” about 300 soldiers and Priests fell back to the ground


Moses preformed 10 mighty miracles

Joshua had the sun stand still

Elijah rained called down fire from heaven


You get the point…

And the list goes on and on… which in those days I am sure were mind totally boggling to everyone!


So let’s go to Acts 2 now, why was it that the VERY FIRST thing Peter had to address is the Jews mocking the Apostles about their behavior? The Jews thought the Apostles were drunk on sweet wine… so for all of them to say that I can only imagine the Apostles were falling down, staggering, and acting like you would if being drunk! By the way… this was immediately after they all got the First filling of the Holy Spirit (Acts 2:1-4)!


I have heard people say no, it was because they were talking in tongues… well, ok… how many drunks have you ever heard speak in a different language that someone else could understand? To the best of my knowledge… that would be zero, so it was not them speaking in tongues! There were 13 different languages’ recorded that they spoke fluently in that day.


I have to tell you that when I am full of JOY I am happy, usually giddy, and sometimes do funny and weird things too.

I used to watch people fall out in laughter during services and think that was weird and disorderly and that couldn’t be from God… until the time the Holy Spirit fell on me so hard that my sides literally hurt from laughing and I begged God to stop! That has also not been a onetime occurrence either.


Here is my point on the matter…God is God and does what He pleases! If you see someone manifesting in the Holy Spirit that is between them and God unless they are causing someone harm. Yes, some people do get in the flesh… but that does not discount other people truly experiencing God in that way. Some people will never manifest by shaking, laughing, falling down, or anything else which does not mean they were not touched by God or they are not spiritual! Don’t try and put the Holy Spirit in a box and say this is the way He works… because if and when you do… watch out… you might just get wacked by Him to show you who’s really boss!


This is my observation on the matter… most of the times it is the Christians that judge and condemn this behavior not the world, the world sees this in drunk people all the time and honestly don’t think anything about it.


The questions I would ask those people who judge this behavior are: 1.) how many souls have you gotten saved, 2.) seen people instantly healed or delivered from demons, 3.) or literally seen people changed right before your very eyes when you prayed for them in the last 6 months?


My guess is they would probably say “none” to all those questions.. but when you typically ask the ones that have had encounters with the Holy Spirit like this and are on FIRE for God they will usually tell you testimony upon testimony.

So to conclude, don’t judge someone else and do not use your experience (or lack of) to decide if it is God or not, that is the Holy Spirits job!


King David danced before the Lord when he brought the Ark back to Jerusalem in his skivvies to the embarrassment of his wife, and when she criticized him she never had any children.


Walk in and pursue Love, peace, and joy. God reveals Himself differently to people all the time, I don’t know or understand why… and I refuse to try and explain God and His actions. It is our job to focus on what He is saying to us and be obedient.



1 comment:

  1. I've had the presence of Holy Spirit fall hard on me, I knew it was God. I've also had Him manifest with pure joy unspeakable, laughing. He is so good. I don't limit God.

    Janelle

    ReplyDelete