Saturday, October 29, 2011

50 Ways to Keep Your Heart Alive

Nobody has ever measured, not even poets, how much a heart can hold. – Zelda Fitzgerald

Most poets, spiritualists, and even some medical doctors believe there is a mind-body-soul connection. Our hearts provide the source of power necessary for this connection. What’s in our hearts, the condition of our hearts and the size of our hearts determine how strong this connection can be and how long it may last.

On a functional level, we need our hearts to distribute blood throughout our bodies. On a spiritual level, we depend on our hearts to give nourishment to our souls. But, it’s an ebb and flow. Meaning, we need to give our hearts a reason a reason to stay alive or they will stop.

Becoming isolated from others, feeling discouraged and losing hope can shut down our hearts in the metaphorical sense. Left unattended for long, our minds, bodies and souls will soon begin to shut down in the physical sense as well.

During times when I feel my heart is shutting down, I rely on these ways to keep it alive:

  1. Living simply and remembering there is power in less; not more.
  2. Seeing love in my friend’s eyes.
  3. Keeping hate from entering my heart.
  4. Asking, “What do I want?” And then listening for the answer.
  5. Erasing the self-limiting tapes that play in my head.
  6. Expecting little and giving much.
  7. Forgiving.
  8. Watching my brother become a man.
  9. Knowing He is not done with me yet.
  10. Remembering to play like a child.
  11. Feeling an ounce of resurgence after a setback.
  12. Enjoying a summer night, a cold beer and a baseball game, all at the same time.
  13. Going to bed knowing I didn’t take any shortcuts.
  14. Receiving an unexpected kiss from my niece.
  15. Savoring the first sip of coffee in the morning.
  16. Remembering the depth of my faith when my soul feels raw.
  17. Waiting for the good to rise out of the bad. It always does.
  18. Realizing I get to choose who I share my heart with.
  19. Taking one step forward as a reminder I do have the ability to keep moving.
  20. Acknowledging my reality so I can change it if it’s not working.
  21. Laughing when a circumstance goes from the absurd to the surreal.
  22. Exercising on days when I really don’t feel like it.
  23. Understanding my passion to help others is beautiful.
  24. Dreaming of what’s next.
  25. Appreciating the abundance in my life.
  26. Learning to replace my anxiety with peace.
  27. Surrendering my plan for His.
  28. Falling to sleep with my dogs next to me.
  29. Tasting a fresh-cut watermelon.
  30. Embracing the fact my life has an expiration date.
  31. Understanding it’s not failure I sometimes fear, but happiness.
  32. Standing tall in the face of truth – even the uncomfortable truths about myself.
  33. Remembering what’s right in my life.
  34. Saying, “Yes” to things I want for myself.
  35. Experiencing the confidence I possess.
  36. Slowing down and doing nothing.
  37. Asking for help and then feeling worthy to receive it.
  38. Trusting the process three years ago.
  39. Giving myself grace.
  40. Allowing good things to happen.
  41. Realizing I am more than enough.
  42. Healing the child within.
  43. Singing happily throughout the house.
  44. Having a second chance to be a better sister and friend.
  45. Hoping the Rangers will win one World Series in my lifetime.
  46. Knowing the pain I have experienced does indeed have a purpose.
  47. Beginning to love myself more.
  48. Realizing life is about doing, not just being.
  49. Discovering the unexpected.
  50. Living from my heart everyday.

1 comment:

  1. Wow this seems awfully similar to another one I just read

    ReplyDelete