Sunday, October 9, 2011

So Why Should We Go to Church?


Over the past decade, I have met a lot of people who seem to have a heart for God and know Jesus, but don’t go to church. They have their reasons, their excuses and their justifications, but the bottom line is that they are usually not there on Sunday morning.

So why should we go to church?

I’ve heard people say that since Jesus didn’t go to church every Sunday, why should I? To them I say, “When the Father sends you into the world to die for our sins then you can miss church. Until then I think you better be there!”

Doesn’t it say something in God’s word about gathering together? I’ve heard it said that if you want to be a Christian, do the things that faithful Christians have been doing for thousands of years. Makes sense to me.

I used to be one of the “Great Un-churched Christians.” You know, I used to talk a good game, know enough Scripture to be dangerous and enjoy a nice leisurely Sunday morning in bed. I used to say that I can meet Jesus right here in my living room. God is everywhere, so what do I need to go to church for? I didn’t understand.

I can’t speak for anyone else, but I go to church faithfully for a number of reasons.

  • The first is very selfish. Simply, I get fed meat from the Word of God there. I experience the Holy Spirit speaking through the Pastor with a message seemingly designed specifically for me.

  • Next, I usually experience great peace at church and, since I have been attending the same church for the last decade, feel I have an extended family there.

  • I also have a responsibility to feed my brothers and sisters the Word; how can I do that if I don’t go and get filled myself? I love to see my brothers and sisters worshipping beside me and our family united in praising the Lord! It’s awesome!

There is another reason that I don’t hear mentioned much.

I have found church attendance absolutely essential if I’m to be an effective warrior in the spiritual battle that we are all engaged in. It gives me ammunition; it renews my mind and soul and reminds me that I am not alone in this fight. It also keeps the enemy at bay. I get attacked much less now than when I didn’t attend church regularly. Church attendance and communion are two essential duties of any true Christian soldier. Without those two things, I’m just a private in training. But with these two essential practices, I have become one of His warriors, His chosen to lead and direct, train and teach others in order to get them battle ready!

C’mon guys, we need to be leaders!

Leaders don’t lead by doing things that are easy. They do the things that are tough, and if we are REALLY called to lead then we must show our faithfulness in following. The Marine Corps motto is Semper Fidelis; that’s Latin for “Always Faithful.” Unfortunately, bombs and bullets can’t help in this fight but our weapons are more powerful for fighting the battle at hand! This isn’t a worldly battle, because no one in this world continues to fight after the battle is won. We do this because Jesus wants ALL of us, and it’s our duty to engage in the fight for souls while we’re here.

When I wasn’t going to church, no one could get me to go; now no one can tear me away! So I’m just giving you the benefit of my experience. You say you have a heart for God, now prove it! Get yourself to church on a regular basis!

Semper Fi


No comments:

Post a Comment