Thursday, November 3, 2011

It's This Relationship I Have With the Rain



Sometimes I think the rain is like a friend that I have loved all my life... It surrounds me and pours over me, leaving nothing dry. It loves it when we dance. It talks to God with me. It literally floods my soul, discarding every worry or sadness.

Rain seems to take the edges off the corners of my day, cushioning me, drowning out the noise (internal as well as external) that constantly bombards me. Rain makes me calm; it’s peaceful; it soothes my soul. (I’m not talking about the angry, harsh downpours-just the soft showery kind.) Ever wonder why people say they like the sound of rain on the roof? Why they say it makes them sleep well? Rain speaks to our inner child. Babies and children sleep better when there is some sort of white noise, a steady thrum, audible, but in the background. It is said it reminds them of their mothers’ heartbeat, heard in the womb.

Music soothes the savage beast. I believe it. Rain eases the weary spirit of our inner child. I know it.


For me, rain is like a magic tonic for my mind and soul. Everything smells fresh and feels cool. I can find a cozy place and snuggle with my bible. Or close my eyes and listen to some music. Maybe watch a good movie.

Gray, cloudy, foggy, rainy days are my portal to other worlds, whether they're in my daydreams or in familiar and much loved tales.


Like Bastian in The Neverending Story, I want to hide from the world and let a book take me so deeply into itself that I become a part of it. Rain can do that for me. When I listen to rain falling and feel its coolness against my skin, wonder is renewed and a childlike belief that anything really is possible is reborn. If it's raining outside, you can bet that I'm in a pretty good mood. I am at peace.


What I do know is that the little kid in me loves to wander around on a rainy day.....

Chance of rain tomorrow! (~_o)


No comments:

Post a Comment