Friday, November 25, 2011

Greedy America




If we Americans are nothing more than hopelessly addicted consumers who think of ourselves as an exceptional people with special entitlements; if we see ourselves as God’s morally superior chosen people; if we are selfish and greedy beyond redemption—then we are complicit in all of the horrible crimes that government commits in our name.


My dear,


I don’t stop eating when I’m full. The meal is not over when I’m full. The meal is over when I hate myself.


And we’re all fine with this. Because this is America. Land of greed, avarice, and of having too much.

Who cares if we have more than enough, we make it enough; we take it all, and ask for more. Who cares that other countries are in dire need of even a morsal of what we have.

Oh, you do?

I don’t see you doing anything about it. Are you donating anything to those poorer than you? Nope. Are you going without something you want so a little baby girl somewhere out there can have what she needs? Nope.

Hell we even have a Thanksgiving, which is a holiday that reminds us to be thankful for what we have; but which was first celebrated right after we raped and stole the land of the Natives, and now celebrate right before Black Friday, the biggest shopping day of the year.

No, we won’t stop taking when we’re satisfied. Our greed isn’t over when we have more than enough. No, our greed is over when we hate ourselves.

Truly yours,
Louis Szekely


2 comments:

  1. The picture brings to remembrance the Manifest Destiny debacle.

    Not a good thing.

    We need God back in our lives before it is too late.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I give out of my need...I give time, because I have that. Sometimes I buy extra cans of soup, taco fixings or box of pasta to put in the food pantry donation box at church even though occasionally I need to ask for something. I gave up the Thanksgiving basket my church was going to give me because I didn't need it, I have food and I wasn't cooking anyway. A couple days later someone came by the church who was in need and that basket was available for them. I gave the turkey I got from work to my sister for Christmas dinner. I supported a little girl in Peru through World Vision and I was quite distressed when I had to give up supporting her because I was unemployed and am still under employed. My family wouldn't help me out unless I dropped all extra expenses and she was one of them, according to them.

    When I read about human sex trafficking, about people starving because their government ships the food they grow to somewhere else to make money, when I realize that the 1 in 3 girls and 1 in 5 boys that are sexually abused includes the people sitting in my church on Sunday morning...I am humble and deeply grateful to live where I do and go to the healing church I am allowed to be a part of.

    ReplyDelete