Sunday, November 6, 2011

101 Things that make me happy… or give me joy



The older I become, the more I feel it’s important to enjoy the simple things in life, to experience each moment as fully as sensually as we can. So, I got to thinking about some of the things that bring a smile to my face and warm waves of gratitude inside.

So here goes nothing…

  1. Falling asleep to the sound of rain outside.
  2. Writing on my blog. Every.Single.Day.
  3. Receiving a hug.
  4. Giving a hug.
  5. Inspiring someone through sharing Jesus
  6. Really getting to know a new friend.
  7. Daydreaming.
  8. Knowing all of my bills are paid.
  9. Going on a road trip.
  10. Sleeping on freshly washed sheets.
  11. Driving for hours
  12. Cooking
  13. Watching the little kid’s sing in church.
  14. Finding a new favorite Bible verse.
  15. Getting my way. {that might be a little selfish – but it’s my list.}
  16. Balancing my checkbook.
  17. Getting dressed up for a night out.
  18. Listening to the pitter patter of rain on the windows.
  19. Having a good cry.
  20. Receiving comments on my blog.
  21. Being given a compliment, particularly when I’m feeling down.
  22. Going for a walk with no destination in mind.
  23. Receiving money in the mail or my Paypal account unexpectedly.
  24. Getting an email from a reader telling me how something I’ve written has helped them.
  25. Being asked to guest-post on other sites. It makes me happy to be asked.
  26. Going swimming and feeling the water all around me.
  27. Going on a long bike ride.
  28. Going camping for a long weekend.
  29. Having a clean apartment.
  30. Knowing that no matter what, I will figure things out.
  31. Doing something that I thought I would never get the courage to do.
  32. Giving what I can to other people who are less fortunate than I am.
  33. Food-y smells like cinnamon, apple pie, baking bread, vanilla, berries…
  34. Newborn babies and the way they smell, the way their fuzzy little heads feel
  35. Bubble baths
  36. Icy water with a slice of lemon or lime
  37. Baby animals
  38. Notebooks and journals and stationary in general
  39. Peanut butter and raspberry jam
  40. Christmas lights
  41. Empty laundry hampers and empty trash bins
  42. People who are down-to-earth, uninhibited and humorous
  43. Being pampered with manicures, pedicures, hair treatments…
  44. Pretty scarves
  45. Fresh fruits
  46. Doggy smiles
  47. My iPod
  48. Giving unexpected gifts
  49. Being alone without feeling alone
  50. Finding out something that makes me love a friend even more
  51. Shirts that don't need to be ironed
  52. History books
  53. Blue jeans
  54. The perfect cup of tea
  55. Shopping for shoes
  56. Full shelves and clean floors
  57. Doing things to help others
  58. Accidentally overhearing someone say something nice about me
  59. Sweet dreams
  60. Happy endings
  61. Dancing in the rain
  62. Rechargable batteries
  63. Nicknames
  64. New socks
  65. Base­ball games
  66. Losing weight
  67. Passion
  68. Pearl necklaces
  69. Slippers
  70. Romantic endeavors
  71. This blog right here makes me happy.
  72. Girl talk
  73. I love it when someone touch my feet, I must be crazy but it makes me happy!
  74. Soft pillows and big beds
  75. Walking the dogs
  76. Hugging someone you've really missed
  77. Knowing things are going to be okay
  78. Recieving good news
  79. Liking a song so much, you put it on repeat until you get sick of it
  80. Baking something for someone else
  81. Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups
  82. Black and white movies
  83. Swinging in a hammock
  84. Seeing a rainbow
  85. Hole-in-the-wall, neighborhood restaurants
  86. Chipotle carnitas burritos
  87. Thunderstorms and rain in general
  88. That clean feeling after taking a long shower.
  89. Seeing an elderly couple holding hands
  90. Strangers who smile as we pass each other instead of avoiding eye contact.
  91. Kisses on the neck
  92. Being treated like a lady
  93. Slow dancing
  94. Things that sparkle
  95. Tax Refunds
  96. Stained glass windows
  97. "It's a Wonderful Life"
  98. Giving random acts of kindness
  99. Candles and the ambiance they create
  100. Looking into someone’s eyes and feeling safe
  101. Dancing with the Holy Spirit.


The conclusion… I am blessed. I have great friends. I have a wonderful family. I am abundantly rich in experiences. And while I may want things to happen to me, I know that God has a plan for me… whatever that may be.


3 comments:

  1. You had me at #1
    #15 I give you it is yours
    #17 This one's for me !
    #20 this one's for you
    #68 classy (~;
    #73 how did I know this? I'm agasp
    #91 I doubt you could stand it !
    #92 Always,even when you act like a child...
    #93 We've already danced
    #100 Guaranteed .
    #101 With all 3 of us,it is like dancing on a cloud ,I know this for a fact !

    #1000 I can think of many more !

    ReplyDelete
  2. One I found myself doing a few days ago
    #102 Kicking up fallen leaves as I walked amongst trees

    ReplyDelete
  3. hahah, I can't believe you actually thought of 100 of these, Em! MOST of them, though, I'd fully agree about... This was cute and made me smile.

    I mean, hahah... rechargeable batteries? That one got me to smile (and I haven't smiled much today, so thank you).

    My favorites:
    Giving/receiving a hug
    Sleeping on clean sheets
    Swimming/camping/road trips (ahem! you promised me a road trip, missy!)
    Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups
    Hugging someone you've really missed
    Driving for hours
    Swinging in a hammock!

    And my own take on this one - Looking into someone’s eyes and knowing I makethem feel safe, loved and protected.

    You're awesome. I needed to smile tonight, wasn't expecting to, either. Thanks my friend. You consistently bless my life. <3

    ~P

    ReplyDelete