Monday, September 26, 2011

Why You Should Fast



If you do not already know of the power and importance of fasting, here are some very important facts:
  • Fasting was an expected discipline in both the Old and New Testament eras. For example, Moses fasted at least two recorded forty-day periods. Jesus fasted 40 days and reminded His followers to fast, "when you fast," not if you fast.
  • Fasting and prayer can restore the loss of the "first love" for your Lord and result in a more intimate relationship with Christ.
  • Fasting is a biblical way to truly humble yourself in the sight of God (Psalm 35:13; Ezra 8:21). King David said, "I humble myself through fasting."
  • Fasting enables the Holy Spirit to reveal your true spiritual condition, resulting in brokenness, repentance, and a transformed life.
  • The Holy Spirit will quicken the Word of God in your heart and His truth will become more meaningful to you!
  • Fasting can transform your prayer life into a richer and more personal experience.
  • Fasting can result in a dynamic personal revival in your own life-and make you a channel of revival to others.
  • Fasting and prayer are the only disciplines that fulfill the requirements of II Chronicles 7:14:
"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."

If you fast, you will find yourself being humbled as I did. You will discover more time to pray and seek God's face. And as He leads you to recognize and repent of unconfessed sin, you will experience special blessings from God.

1 comment:

  1. I don't really like to fast.. let's say my flesh doesn't like to fast. So, i have to kind of trick myself...

    Rom 13:14 But put ye on the Lord Jesus Christ, and make not provision for the flesh, to fulfil the lusts thereof.

    I view that as "Get all food outta my sight so i can't cheat on my fast!"

    I have a sleep eat problem... Seriously, when i was living with my stepmom and grandmother for a bit, i used to sleepwalk and eat their food in the middle of the night! haha My point is, i think about food even when i am sleeping!

    Anyways, for me to fast, it has to be well thought out. I go on like three day camping trips and do a juice fast far away from a store. At least enough distance away that i can talk myself out of giving in to the flesh.

    I always walk away from a fast better off than i did before the fast. Emotionally, spiritually, and physically.

    Jesus Rules!

    ReplyDelete