Friday, September 23, 2011

True Thirst



Food and drink have no control over me whatsover. Absolutely none. At least that's what I thought until they told me I had to "fast" for twelve hours before a medical test. What was it about knowing I couldn't have something that made me want it all the more? The minute they told me that I couldn't have anything to eat, I was starving! The air smelled of chocolate!!!

By the morning, my mouth was so dry I felt like I had been chewing cotton balls. The thing about it was, I could skip the food, the drink, all that, if I didn't know I had to. It was the knowing I had to do it that made me feel as though I'd been walking through a desert for days without food or drink.

Have I ever longed for Jesus in the same way? So hungry, so thirsty for Him that I can think of nothing else?

I heard a story once where a man asked his friend how he could truly find God. The friend took the man to a nearby lake, and once they got into shoulder-deep water, he said. You're sure you truly want to find God? The man answered, "Yes." So the friend dunked the man in the water and held his head down to the point where the man thought he would drown. When the friend pulled then man back up, the man desperately gasped for air. Finally the friend said, When you want to find God as much as you desired your breath, you will find Him."

No comments:

Post a Comment