Sunday, September 11, 2011

“What is the Gospel?”


If you were asked, “What is the Gospel?”…what would you’re answer be?

I’m amazed at the responses I get to this question when I ask it…especially from churchgoin’ folk…for example:

A while back, I talked with a young man [17 years old] whose mother was a “pastor” of a church. God truly opened the door to talk with him on spiritual things. I asked him if he was a Christian…he said “yes”. I asked him how did he become a Christian. He explained to me that while at a youth function, the “Christian Rock” band was playing and everyone was swaying and having a good time. After the set, the band had an altar call. The lead singer said if you want to be a Christian, then come on up to the stage. [Friends, I'm not making this up...this is what the young man told me]. He didn’t know what to do, and his friends motivated him to go onto the stage. When he got up there the lead guy lead him in a prayer – he was “saved” – and he told me that everyone was clapping and he felt so good.

Well, I wanted to explore this a bit further…after all, “Let the redeemed of the LORD say so” (Psalm 107:2). I asked him, “So, do you know what is the Gospel?”. He replied, “Whoa, that’s a great question”…and after some more thought, this “pastor’s” kid who was “saved” concluded, “I can’t answer that”. Can’t answer that??? Even though the Lord Jesus Christ said, “The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand: repent ye, and believe the Gospel” (Mark 1:15)?

Now I anticipate some saying, “Well, this young man may be saved, but he just may not understand that he heard and believed in the Gospel…he just may not know the terminology”. Really? Are we that ignorant today? Even though [allegedly] THE GOSPEL was preached that evening, and even though [allegedly] this young man repented and believed THE GOSPEL that evening, and even though he attends a church that [allegedly] preaches THE GOSPEL, he couldn’t answer “what is the Gospel”?

If YOU were asked, “What is the Gospel”…what would you’re answer be?

I’d be interested to read your response to this question.


2 comments:

  1. Yes Emma ! Verily,verily,I"ll answer you.. "The Gospel" is "The Good News"
    That Jesus Came ,sent of the Father,to save the world from sin and death.
    Laid down his life,took mans sin upon himself. Went into hell took the keys of death ,rose from the dead! in victory ! offering eternal life to all who believe!
    In the Mighty Name of Jesus ! and his Works !

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I remember correctly, the word "gospel" translated in Greek is evangelio or evangelion..roughly translated it means good news. But why "good news"? Because there's bad news. The bad news is "we have all sinned and fall short of the glory of God" (Romans 3:23). There is nothing we can do to make the mark. The good news is that Jesus Christ was sent by God, He became man, and on the cross He took on all of our sins, buying us forgiveness through the shedding of His unblemished blood. fulfilling the requirements in Deutoronomy and in Hebrews 9:22.
    Simply put the gospel/good news is this, we were all sinners destined for Hell with no way of atoning for our sins and making ourselves right before a holy God, JESUS atoned for our sins by dying on the cross and He rose from the grave and went back to Heaven (and we will too, thanks to Him).

    ReplyDelete